Learn to Drift: Information, Locations, Discussions, Equipment, Videos & More
Motorcycle vs. Car Drift Battle 2
Drifting is an adrenaline packed thrill ride that gives an all new meaning to the word “drive”. This extreme sport involves skill and practice to successfully drift a vehicle. To drift, the driver intentionally over steers to cause a loss of traction in the rear wheels through turns. Throughout the turn, the driver maintains control and exits at a high speed.
Engine power doesn’t need to be high and actually too much power only makes the vehicle harder to control. Tuning of the engine should be done to produce a linear response as opposed to tuning for maximum power. On professional drift cars, the gearbox and engine mounts are replaced with urethane or aluminum mounts to better control the engine under extreme conditions. The most important mechanical modification is the limited slip differential. An open or viscous differential in a sustained slide won’t produce the most efficient results. An upgraded cooling system is a must since there is less airflow through the radiator and the engine produces more heat under these extreme conditions.
The suspension selection includes a very high spring and damper rate. The caster and camber settings are very important. The caster is increased and a positive camber is not desired. The sway bars are usually upgraded. A rear sway bar upgrade is most important. Drivers can easily burn through tires. It’s recommended that better tires are used in the front and hard compound tires are used in the rear. Rear wheel drive vehicles are mainly used for this sport.
The steering wheel should be perfectly round to allow the driver better control. A custom steering rack or spacers on the steering rack increase the steering angle. Bucket seats should be installed with a harness to help the driver brace during the slide. Additional gauges are mounted in the cockpit and monitored closely for adrenaline (only kidding but wouldn’t that be nice), boost, intake, coolant temperatures, and oil pressure.
Professional drifting competitions on complex courses are held worldwide with an increase in popularity each year. Go quench your thirst for adrenaline and experience the ride of your life!
Learn to Drift: Drifting 101 featuring the Drift King Keiichi Tsuchiya
• Triple Crown Drift is an event coordination company offering many events throughout the year. They have provided us with information on their company so that we may better serve you.
• Koss Motor Sports hosts events in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.
• Club Loose is a drift company located in New Jersey.
Equipment for Drifting
JDM Allstars – HD Drifting Film
The tracks listed below host drift events but not necessarily offer drifting on a daily basis. Check their website for the schedule and more details about their operations.
• Arizona: Firebird International Raceway in Chandler, Arizona & Phoenix International Raceway
• California: Willow Springs International Raceway (Balcony in Rosamond, California), Willow Springs (Horse Thief Mile in Rosamond, California), Toyota Speedway at Irwindale
• Colorado: Drift Colorado & ; Colorado National Speedway in Dacono, Colorado, Dick’s Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colorado, IMI Motorsports Complex in Dacono, Colorado, Pikes Peak International Raceway in Fountain, Colorado
• Florida: Florida Central Racing Complex in Orlando, FL & Palm Beach International Raceway
• Georgia: Road Atlanta
• Illinois: Rockford Speedway & Toyota Park
• Indiana: Lucas Oil Raceway in Indianapolis, Indiana & Sportsdrome Speedway in Clarksville, Indiana
• Michigan: Auto City Speedway
• Nevada: Las Vegas Motor Speedway
• New Jersey: Wall Stadium Speedway
• New Mexico: Sandia Motorsports Park
• New York: Lebanon Valley Dragway
• North Carolina: Z Max Raceway in Charlotte
• Ohio: Kil-Kare Speedway in Xenia, Ohio, Lake County Speedway in Cleveland, Ohio & Midvale Speedway
• Oregon: Oregon Raceway Park in Grass Valley, OR & Pats Acres Racing Complex in Canby, OR
• South Carolina: Myrtle Beach Speedway & DriftBasic 3D Motorsports
• Tennessee: Nashville Superspeedway in Lebanon, Tennessee
• Utah: Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah
• Virginia: Koss Motor Sports; Virginia International Raceway
• Washington: Evergreen Speedway
• West Virgina: Summit Point Raceway
• Wisconsin: USA International Raceway in Shawano, Wisconsin
YouTube Drift Videos:
We’ve put together a collection of awesome drifting videos from YouTube. Whether you love drifting a car or a motorcycle, these videos will surely entertain. After watching these videos, which would you rather drift? Learn from the Drift King Keiichi Tsuchiya, check out the Red Bull and GoPro drift cars, view Mad Mike’s Souped Up Drifting Car, Pikes Peak 2011 Monster Tajima’s World Record, numerous drift events and more!
Motorcycle vs. Car Drift Battle at Sandia Motorsports Park
Drifting in Abu Dhabi – Red Bull Car Park Drift 2012